Thursday, February 10, 2011

Worldly Success and Liberation Songs

When finding these songs I decided to come at it from different angles. For the Worldly Success Songs all the songs I picked are about success, but not all of them in a positive light. The Video I picked was a Rolling Stones song about success being more of a negative thing as well as the Pavement song which talks about how success is never achieved. I wanted to use different perspectives on the topic because everyone has different perspectives of success. The other songs were mostly silly rap songs that I actually think are catchy but are pretty ridiculous. The Drake songs are about making money and just throwing it away. If I were a wealthy artist I really doubt I would want everyone to know I made all this money and what I'm going to do with it is just blow it all away because I can. It grosses me out that people are so egotistical that they have all this power but use it for there ego and to make other people want to be them. They have so much power and success already but all they are doing with it is blowing it away for nothing. I'm not passing judgement because their lifestyle seems fun its just crazy how the world works. For the Liberation songs I picked personal songs that are close to my heart. The video The Thermals returning to the fold is an amazing song about leaving his soul when he didn't know he needed it but realizes that he needs it to feel anything. Then it talks about how he needs God, "like a big brother". The main point of the song is that he still has faith in everything. This to me was a perfect example of a song about liberation. The other liberation songs reached out to me when I was surfing through my itunes library, and i thought they fit pretty well.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you in the fact that everyone looks at success differently. It is unbelievable how so many people can take success and throw it all away because they can, when there are so many people in the world fighting just to make enough money to eat at night. To many poor people in American and all over the world success could be as simple as feeding their family for a night. Howeever,in America (and possibly other well developed countries) we make it all about seeing how far we can go and how rich we can get to just do whatever we want with the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you decided to expand the view of success and thought that it can sometimes be a negative thing. It is sad how people think that money and power will make them happy when it won't. And when it doesn't, they just blow it all when there's people out there who are truly deserving and struggling and need it far more than they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't agree that a wealthy artist can "make people want to be like them" Everyone is in control of the decisions that they make. Nobody can make you do anything. Also if people wanted to be like the egotistical money blowing famous people then I think they are pretty shallow and stupid for wanting to be like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this post was really, really good. It makes me sick how they just throw money away like that when people in our country are sleeping on the streets, some kids not knowing when the next time they are going to eat, and many other sad cases that is going on in our society. I think the artist that thinks it is cool to just blow their money needs to go sit down and turn on the news and pay attention to what is really going on in our country and try and help do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the same things in some of my songs about success. A lot of songs are about the negative aspects of being successful, and it's comforting to know a lot of artists write about that. It makes the egotistical celebrities seem even lower, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete